Before I begin let me warn you that I am totally in love with this book. I mean I L < O < V < E (ten exclamation marks) it. That’s how much I love this book. To me this is a treasure of knowledge and eye-opening words stringed together to make sentences and paragraphs which resonated so much with me and I really, REALLY recommend this book…like REALLY!
Phew! Okay, so now that I’ve gotten that out of the way (thankfully without you having to hear me squeal with delight) I’ll get down to a review.
What is it?
The Edgar Cayce Primer : Discovering the Path to Self – Transformation by Herbert B. Puryear , Ph.D is, I would say what it’s title says – the main one. It’s an introduction or book that lays the foundations of some of Edgar Cayce’s important readings related to our life journey. Published by Bantam Book in 1982, it carries the Universal messages that much like the religious books (the Torah, the Quran, the Bible and the like) I believe, transcends time.
The back cover “snippet” says:
And now , with the guidance of Edgar Cayce, we can learn how to mine our psychic strengths for happier and healthier lives. Here are the readings of The Sleeping Prophet, condensed and simplified – the wisdom to help us make the right decisions affecting all facets of our lives. Cayce speaks out on : The sources of psychic development, Reincarnation, Karma and grace, Dreams, Meditation, Prayer, Personal health (including diet and exercise), Holistic healing, Sexuality, Spirituality, Rejuvenation, Religion, Spiritual psychology, and much more. Cayce offers us the keys to insight, enlightenment, and total fulfillment.
That is a big promise, and to me personally, it delivers what it sets out to do.
What it is, is a book that peels the layers of complexity and lays before the reader the core of the matter.
But…who was Edgar Cayce?
Edgar Cayce was one of the greatest American psychics in the 20th century. He was a simple man and he was given the gift of helping others through his readings. The reason why he is called the Sleeping Prophet is that Cayce’s readings were done in an altered state of consciousness. He was “hypnotized” by his colleague (and at a later time, his wife) and as he lay on the couch he was able to access the Superconscious plane / the collective unconscious. He initially started with doing readings for people with medical conditions called Physical readings and later he gave life readings as well as readings on subjects such as spirituality, interpretations of the Bible, astrology and other metaphysical subjects. There are a total of more than 14,000 Cayce readings that have been documented – this was his wish as he wanted all what came through him be written down, and are currently housed in the Association for Research and Enlightenment (A.R.E) , Virginia, USA. If you are interested in reading his fascinating story then this book would be a good one to read.
What do I like about this book?
For me there are two types of people. There are those that have the knowledge and understanding of a subject. They are able to do the work and can be brilliant at it. Then, there are those who not only have the knowledge and understanding, but they are able to take its complexities and break it down to a level where another can understand it as well. Herbert Puryear is one such person and he does an excellent job in breaking down the readings of Edgar Cayce into manageable and understandable information.
It is presented really well, as he takes us from the basic principles of the Edgar Cayce readings, to the use of models to explain the different concepts of the various subjects and then an elaboration of those topics. His way of interpreting the readings is awesome, using simple everyday English instead of fancy unintelligible (okay maybe not unintelligible as much as incomprehensible jargon) words that would make a person throw his hands in the air and say “I give up!”.
I loved that the information presented within the book’s 237 pages not only opens the readers eyes to understand these subjects but it also teaches you how to do or approach your own life journey.
The thing is it made complete sense to me. It was like meeting an old sage who had the patience and the gift of explaining the cobwebs of uncertainty away. It was like having someone finally cleaning the windshield of the car I was driving and suddenly the road becomes so clear.
Some favourite quotes / passages :
- From the section Universal Viewpoint (p. 217) : From these readings we may begin to see how reincarnation is not only a fact but an extremely important working concept for us in understanding ourselves, other, and our relationship to them. We may thus truly see the brotherhood of all nations, of all religions and of all people. We may come to understand that we ourselves have been perhaps Hindu, Buddhist, Muslim, Taoist, Christina, and Jew.The concept of reincarnation is the great leveller – it makes mankind heirs of the great persons of history.
- The Spiritual Path (p. 172) : To be on the spiritual path is to be a seeker. To be a seeker indicates that we do not have t justify our present thoughts or life style, but are rather willing to learn and encounter the possibility that we need to change. To be on the path means that we begin to guide our lives by the spirit within and not simply by rules or feeling to rejects or rebel against certain rules.
- Spiritual Healing (p. 164) : The purpose for which one wants to be healed is of the utmost importance…However, we may say that there are only two good reason why e should want to be healed. The first is our desire to change – that is, change the patterns that led to the illness – and the second is our desire to serve our God and others better.
- On Attitudes (p. 122 -123) : An attitude is literally a stance, a posture, an orientation… Therefore, our attitudes reflect more directly the nowness of our being than any other quality…First our attitudes are a matter of our own immediate choice. Second, attitudes clearly reflects our behaviour and subsequently the experiences that we undergo. And their, there can be no doubt that many of our decisions are based on attitudes held at the particular moment.
Rating and recommendation:
5 BIG stars !
I would recommend this highly for anyone that is interested in finding the answers for some of the complex questions that may arise when we delve into subjects of Karma, Reincarnation, the concept of Oneness and other subjects. I would like to caution the reader that we have to remember that the Cacye readings were done through a man who was a Christian. Therefore the information that filtered through him would have a slant towards Christianity and the readings do quote Bible passages. However, the important thing is that regardless of that, the Universal truths and the IDEALS that the readings stand for can be applied to any religious background. After all, I firmly believe there is only one God, one Source, one Divine Truth and however we wish to name him or her, all religions preach the same truths.
- The Past Lives of Jesus Christ According to Edgar Cayce (rawlifewizard.wordpress.com)